Joining Scouts is an exciting time – there is a lot to experience and learn about.
Interested in finding out more about Scouts? Young people can enjoy a free trial at their local Group – the process for getting involved is easy:
- Find the Group/s you are interested in joining here and submit an enquiry
- We will be in touch to organise your initial visit to the Group
- Prior to your first visit, you will need to complete a Membership Application form. This gives Leaders important contact information for when the young person attends the Scout meeting
- There is a four-six week free trial period for you to explore Scouts. After that, you become a full member, unless you have decided not to continue.
Most Scout Groups hold regular weekly meetings at the Scout Hall during term time. Parents do not need to attend but are encouraged to get involved as an adult helper for the many tasks that help the Group to run and offer young people a range of activities.
As a membership organisation, all funds go towards running the Youth Program and providing training and resources for our Leaders and members. Our Leaders and helpers are all volunteers which goes to keeping costs down. Scouts offer an exciting Program with many opportunities and membership fees are set to keep Scouts open to all. The Active Kids Voucher can be used to participate in Scouts, and there are support programs in place to assist families facing financial need and to help young people participate.
The cost of participating in Scouts comprises of:
- An annual State Membership fee that includes essential insurance for members, Leader training, a wide range of resources, and essential support services including finance, IT, property and facilities, child safety team, marketing and communication
- A local Group fee covers the week-to-week expenses of running Scouts – resources, maintenance and utilities of the Scout Hall, and regular meeting activities
- One-off costs – there are endless opportunities for additional participation in Scouts and there may be associated fees like camping charges, travel, event fees etc.
For more information on our Membership fees, read here.
The annual 2024 Scouts NSW membership fee is $280. If you join mid-year, your fees are adjusted to a pro-rata rate.
The State fee is payable in two periods, called 'Treks'. Trek 1 ($140) covers the period January-June and Trek 2 ($140) covers the period July-December.
Scouts is organised across five age ranges from 5 to 25 years old. Young people can join the relevant section at any time. They don’t have to progress from one stage to the next but can start their Scouting Journey when they choose.
There is a one-off registration fee of $60.
Yes, you can use a valid Active Kids vouchers provided by the NSW Government towards your Membership fee. Find out more here.
Have a chat with your prospective Group and they will be able to explain the local cost. This can vary from time to time depending on the activities planned.
The State Membership fee and Group fee are billed together, in two bi-annual instalments in January and July (called "Trek 1" and "Trek 2"). If you join after the beginning of the Trek, applicable fees will be payable after you complete your free trial period and are continuing with Scouts.
Absolutely – we would love you to come along and see what Scouts gets up to. All new members get a free four-to-six-week trial period to participate in the local Group. After that period, this converts to a full membership, and notice of payment for the membership and joining fees will be sent.